Northern Territories Federation of Labour was founded in 1980 and has more than 10,000 affiliated members in over a dozen unions in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.  We are chartered by the Canadian Labour Congress, the largest democratic and popular organization in Canada with more than 3 million members.  We do not answer to governments.

Your Rights

Who do I call for Help?

If your workplace has a union, call your union. If your workplace is not unionized, call the government program for labour (sometimes called employment standards, or labour program). First, you will need to know if you are covered by federal or territorial law.

Which law covers you, Federal or Territorial?

If you work in the Northwest Territories or Nunavut, you are most likely covered by territorial law. Only 10% of workers are covered by federal law. Federal laws apply to you, if you work directly for the federal government, or one of these industries:

  • Banks and credit unions
  • Marine shipping, ferry and port services
  • Airlines, air transportation services
  • Railways
  • Road transportation, trucks, buses (crossing provincial borders)
  • Canals, pipelines, tunnels, and bridges (crossing provincial borders)
  • Telephone and cable systems
  • Radio and television broadcasting
  • Grain elevators, feed and seed mills
  • Uranium Mines
  • Protection of fisheries as a natural resource
  • First Nations (as employers)
  • Federal Crown corporations

If you do not work for a federally-regulated industry (shown above), then you are covered by territorial laws (phone Government of the NWT, or Government of Nunavut).

Who can I call if I work for Government?


Federal Labour Program


Employment Standards


Labour Standards Compliance Office



(867) 873-3695
1-888-873-1956 (Toll-Free NT/NU)

Mailing Address:

PO Box 2787
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2R1

Office Address:

100, 4910 – 53 St.
Yellowknife, NT

Hours of Operation:

8:30 am to 5:00 pm weekdays
(closed weekends and statutory holidays)